Neckties typically don’t need to be cleaned unless you spill something on them. If that happens to you, the first thing we recommend is to check the care label. Many ties say ‘dry clean only’, and there’s a reason for that whether it is fabric, construction, or colorfastness. If the tie indicates that it can be hand washed, then we recommend the following:
- If you’ve never washed it before, check for colorfastness by placing a drop of water in an inconspicuous area to see if the color runs. If it does, stop there and take it to a professional.
- If it doesn’t, then proceed by filling a clean sink, basin, or bucket with cool water and a mild detergent, like Woolite.
- Gently swirl the tie in the water for a few minutes to allow the soap to penetrate the fabric.
- Then rinse the garment thoroughly by draining your soapy water and replacing it with cool, clean water. Gently immerse your tie in the water.
- Carefully lift it out of the rinse water and press it between two towels to remove the majority of water.
- Lay flat to dry.
- If it needs some touch up before wearing, iron it on low provided the care label indicates it is safe to do so.
If you are ever in doubt about how to properly care for your ties, simply drop by one of our locations, and our experienced staff will take a look at them and determine the best steps so that your ties will look like brand new for many years.