A Cleaner World Blog
Tailoring Can Save You Money
I have recently taken up watching Northern Exposure; I realize this is an odd confession but stick with me. One of the first things I noticed was how sloppy everyone looked, so I looked at the DVD to find that the show was made in the early 1990’s. Then I found photos of myself during that period, and I too looked sloppy. Not only did I look sloppy, but I also looked heavier and unkempt.
There is just something about properly tailored clothing that not only boosts your confidence, but also helps you create your own sense of style. Did you realize you can also save money by having clothing tailored?
- Instead of getting rid of dated pieces in your closet, update the fit or length, add decorative embellishments or new buttons, remove shoulder pads, or change the lining of a jacket or coat. You could wear these pieces several more seasons before needing to purchase new or make additional minor adjustments.
- Purchase something off-the-rack, on clearance, or second-hand at a fraction of the cost and have it tailored to look like a custom piece. This will allow you to express yourself without breaking the bank.
- Repurpose. We all have things in our closets that we don’t wear. Instead of donating, why not turn them into something new so you don’t have to go purchase that item? Jeans and pants can become shorts. Shirts and jackets can become purses. Dresses can become tops.
- Safeguard your clothing by having it fit properly. A well-tailored garment is less likely to be damaged. For instance, clothes that are too loose can catch and tear. Clothes that are too tight can lead to popped seams.
- Fix a garment instead of replacing it. Things like a broken zipper on jeans, pants, skirts, dresses, and jackets can easily be repaired or replaced at a fraction of the cost of purchasing new garments.
Tailoring and alterations can many times be the perfect solution to a whole host of clothing-related issues. Before getting rid of a prized piece and purchasing new, consider all your options. When purchasing, consider off-the-rack or clearance items that can, with a few additional dollars, become something spectacular. It all starts with seeing not what is but what can be and your nearest A Cleaner World location.