A Cleaner World Blog
How to Speed Up Laundry
Sometimes I feel like all that I do is laundry, and there’s only three of us in our house. One of Gray’s friends has 6 siblings; that’s 9 people worth of laundry. I cannot begin to imagine what their laundry situation is like. But in an effort to lighten my load, I began looking for ways to help me spend less time in my least favorite room in the house – the laundry room. Here are a few tips that might help you spend less time in there as well:
- Be prepared. Never run out of detergent, vinegar, baking soda, and pre-treaters. Always make sure you add them to your shopping list before you run out. The last thing you want is to get stopped before you even get started.
- Delegate sorting. My husband and my son are notorious for leaving dirty clothes in multiple rooms in the house. Part of my time is spent gathering up those clothes, carrying them to the laundry room, throwing them in a basket, and then later, when it is time to do a load of wash, I sort them. A very high priority for me is to train them to carry their dirty clothes to the laundry room and immediately sort them; train your family to do the same.
- Pre-spot early. During the sorting process, take a look at the items to make sure nothing special needs to be addressed. Pre-spotting in advance or soaking immediately will help the laundry process run smoother.
- Fold quickly. As soon at the dryer completes its drying cycle, remove the clothes and fold or hang them immediately to help reduce the number of garments that need to be ironed.
- Take advantage of steam. Use steam from your shower to reduce the number of garments that need to be ironed. Here’s how you can do that: start the shower, put the water on hot, and close the bathroom door. Hang wrinkled clothes on hangers on the shower rod. It takes about 15 minutes of steam to get rid of wrinkles. Caution: make sure you don’t get water on the garments.
Doing one of these things by itself may not help all that much, but perhaps implementing all these changes could help reduce that persistent chore called laundry. I’m going to give it a try. If you have tips or tricks you use to help make the laundry process more efficient, please share them with us on Facebook. If you would like to try A Cleaner World's wash-dry-fold service, stop by one of our locations.