Wednesday, December 31, 2014
But your chimney isn’t the only thing to be mindful of. I recently talked to Mike Feudale, General Manager of A Cleaner World Restoration Dry Cleaning. He shared with me one particularly bad home fire where a recently-started, unattended fire popped a few embers out of the fireplace onto a rug placed too closely to the fireplace. The result – a burned up living room and a home full of smoke and ash. Besides the rebuilding of a portion of the home, everything had to be removed, cleaned, and deodorized.
Redcross.org reports that December and January are peak months for home fires. They further report that the second leading cause in home fires comes from heating sources like woodstoves and fireplaces. We just wanted to remind you, knowing that colder weather and the holiday season means fireplaces will be in peak use, to be diligent when it comes to fireplace maintenance and safety. Remember to open the flue before starting a fire. Make sure to use a metal screen when burning a fire. Keep flammable items away from the fireplace. Burn firewood only. Clean the interior of the fireplace after each fire. Finally, be sure that your smoke detectors are properly working.
Stay warm…..and safe. For more information on fireplace safety, check out our Helpful Hints section.