Gray and I had been bugging Matt for another dog ever since Keeper roamed off. Matt didn’t exactly love Keeper and wouldn’t agree to another dog, so I found myself wishing that one would just show up. And wouldn’t you know a week before Christmas, Matt’s dad called saying a puppy showed up at their farm. Do we want her? I was actually hesitant. I wanted a dog, not a puppy. But Gray was incredibly excited, so they went and got her. Then the super cold spell hit and suddenly she was an inside puppy. An inside puppy that needed house training. Meet Lucy.
While we crated her when we couldn’t be right there, she still managed to have quite a few accidents in our house. Thankfully we strategically placed the crate so she would be confined to the laundry room, kitchen, and dining room. But my dining room rug……
I went through old blog posts to remind myself how to clean up pet accidents and to point out to Matt the damage pet urine can do. But the OCD in me also kicked in, and I began to worry about possible health threats associated with dog urine in our home.
I read several articles that said --- yes, pet urine can make you ill. A big reason is because of the ammonia present in dog urine. According to www.cdc.gov, ammonia is an eye and upper respiratory tract irritant. In large amounts, it can make you feel ill. Additionally, if pet urine is left untreated or isn’t completely removed, it becomes a breeding ground for things like mold, mildew, and bacteria.
So while I want my dining room rug to always look nice, I am way more concerned about the health of my family. I followed my own cleaning advice and also called Greg for a bottle of spotter that he gives customers after they have their rugs cleaned by A Cleaner World Carpet and Rug Cleaning. Since Lucy’s residence inside was temporary, I held on until warmer weather…..Lucy moved outside, and then I had my rug cleaned.