Now that my child is in school, there are so many new things to worry about – influences of other kids, academic performance, and this: head lice. I’m grossed out just in typing those two little words.
Every Wednesday morning, I volunteer in Gray’s class. On a recent Wednesday, I was going to sign out in the office when I overheard a conversation between a guidance counselor and a female student. Based on what the counselor was saying – it’s hard to get rid of, don’t share brushes and hair ribbons – I gathered that there was a case in my son’s school.
I came home and immediately read up on it. Here are the highlights on what I learned:
• They are parasites that are found on people’s heads
• They are spread by personal contact or contact with contaminated belongings
• They are common among preschool and school age children
• Over-the-counter or prescription medications can be used to treat those affected
• Besides medication, treat your entire house if your child has a case –
o Wash bed linens and clothing in hot water that the infested person touched during the two days before treatment
o Heat dry fabric items in the dryer
o Dry cleaning items that aren’t washable
o Store any items that cannot be cleaned in a plastic bag and seal it for 30 days
o Soak combs and brushes in Lysol or hot soapy water for one hour
o Vacuum the floor and furniture
For more detailed information, check out the CDC’s website -- http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/